Turkey Tacos Picadillo with California Prunes
This delicious taco recipe was created by Carissa Galloway, RDN with flavor in mind!
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons of your oil of choice (I used corn oil)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can drained diced tomatoes
- ½ cup sliced green olives
- ¼ cup diced California Prunes
- 6 corn tortillas
- 6 lime wedges
- ¼ cup lite sour cream
- ¼ cup diced cilantro leaves
- ½ cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 thinly sliced fresh jalapeno
- 6 slices California avocado
Coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Over medium-high heat cook ground turkey, breaking up into bite-size pieces. Cook 7-8 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Return skillet to medium – high heat and add oil, onion and garlic. Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Watch for onion to soften but not brown.
Stir salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika and cinnamon into onion mixture. Continue stirring 30 seconds or until spices darken and are fragrant.
Pour in broth. Stir to combine.
Add tomatoes, cooked turkey, olives and California Prunes to skillet and increase heat to high. Bring to a simmer. Stir frequently as it comes to a simmer then decrease heat to medium-low and allow cooking until sauce thickens, 7-10 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Divide mixture among tortillas.
Add optional toppings and enjoy with a margarita for a delicious meal!