10-Minute California Prune Mole
This 10-Minute California Prune Mole is a traditional mole with a sweet and nutritious twist: California Prunes! Developed by Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, CSSD, LDN.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 15 oz. can diced fire roasted tomatoes, not drained
- 1 tablespoon diced green chilies, canned
- 12 California prunes, halved
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of cloves
- Dash of cumin
- 2 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
Sauté onion and garlic in oil until golden brown then add tomatoes, diced green chilies, prunes, orange juice, cocoa powder and spices. Cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Garnish with sesame seeds. Serve over chicken, pork, turkey or tofu.
For more meal inspiration, check out our recipes here.
- Calories 112
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Fiber 2.75 g
- Protein 1.6 g
- Carbohydrate 18.7 g