Pan-Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpeas with California Prunes and Almonds
This plant-based dish offers a variety of tastes and textures to wake up your taste buds. Hearty cauliflower and chickpeas are pan-roasted with zucchini and ribbons of swiss chard to make the perfect variety of vegetables to serve on a bed of fluffy quinoa. CA prunes bring that surprise and balance of sweetness to the dish, while lemon juice brightens it up and almonds provide a nice crunch. You won’t even miss the meat.
By Michelle Dudash, RDN
- 4oz White quinoa
- 2pkts Vegetable base
- 1/2oz Fresh parsley
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Zucchini
- 4oz CA Prunes
- 1can Chickpeas (15oz)
- 12oz Cauliflower florets
- 1tsp Ground cumin
- 1/4cup Red pepper flakes
- 4oz Chopped Swiss chard
- 2tsp Za’atar
- 1/4cup Toasted almonds
- In a small sauce pot with lid, combine the quinoa, 1 packet of vegetable base, and 1¼ cups of water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard the stems from parsley. Rough chop leaves.
- In a small bowl, zest the lemon. Add remaining vegetable base and ½ cup water. Mix well.
- In another small bowl, juice lemon, discard any seeds.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise then cut into ½-inch half-moon slices.
- Cut the prunes into ¼-inch pieces.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
Make the Cauliflower:
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large sauté pan with lid over high heat. When hot, add the cauliflower and brown on one side without stirring for 3 minutes, flip cauliflower and brown on the other side for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin and red pepper flakes and toast for 10 seconds. Reduce heat to medium and add chickpeas, zucchini and lemon zest vegetable broth. Stir well, cover and simmer for 6 minutes. Stir in the prunes, Swiss chard, za’atar, only half of the chopped parsley, half of the lemon juice and 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
Finish the Quinoa:
- Allow the cooked quinoa to sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining parsley, remaining lemon juice and ½-teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Fluff with a fork.
- Divide the quinoa evenly between two plates. Top with the cauliflower mixture and sprinkle toasted almonds on top.