1 1/4 lbs. lamb shoulder, cubed
1/2 lb. pork butt or shoulder, cubed
1/4 lb. pork fat, cubed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1/2 cup diced California Prunes
1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
Zest of 1 orange
Caul fat to line pans (optional)
Whole grain mustard, cornichon and crusty baguette slices
- Grind meats through a 3/8 in grind plate (or have butcher coarsely grind). Finely grind all spices and add to meat mixture. Stir in Prunes, walnuts, herbs, garlic and orange zest.
- Line a loaf pan with caul fat, leaving excess on sides to fold over the top. Pack the mold tightly with sausage mixture and fold caul fat over the top, trimming excess.
- Place pan in a larger, deep baking dish. Create a water bath by filling dish with water that comes to at least 3/4 up the sides. Bake at 325°F for 1 to
- 1 1/2 hours or until a meat reaches 140 degrees. Let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Slice 1/2-inch thick and serve with bread, mustard and cornichon. Pate may be prepared up to 1 week ahead and stored tightly covered in the refrigerator.