Guacamole with Poached California Prunes
Jackie Newgent, RDN, CDN, Chef does it again in this delicious guacamole recipe, which creatively uses California Prunes for a touch of sweetness.
- 8 California prunes, diced
- 1 cup 100% prune or apple juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (divided)
- 2 Hass avocados, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, with some seeds, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Add the diced prunes, prune juice, and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Let simmer until the prunes are softened and juicy, about 5 minutes. Drain the prunes through a mesh strainer and let stand in the strainer for at least 15 minutes to fully drain and cool. Reserve the juice for other culinary purposes.
To a medium bowl, add the avocados, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, garlic (if using), salt, coriander, cumin, and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice. Gently stir (do not smash avocado) until just combined. Add the prunes and gently stir until evenly combined.
Serve with chips and enjoy with our fresh orange margarita!
- Calories 90
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Total Fat 5 g
- Fiber 3 g
- Protein 1 g
- Sodium 150 mg
- Carbohydrate 11 g